Going out to a kiki, a dinner gig, a date, or any other social gathering can be intimidating for us queens who don’t want to drink alcohol. This is especially true when attending a get-together where most of the other attendees will be drinking the house down or whipping up cocktails. Whether you’re the party’s designated driver or you’re abstaining for health reasons, you probably don’t want to be clocked with incessant questions about why you’re not ordering X drink or Y drink.
The good news is that you don’t have to sacrifice fun or flavor, period.
Mocktails and virgin drink options aren’t uncommon in this day and age. Many venues serve non-alcoholic alternatives to popular cocktails so that folks who don’t want to get turnt can try something new and interesting and get their life at the same time.
Read on to learn about a few popular mocktails you might want to either make at home or try at your next outing.
Fun, fruity drinks don’t have to contain alcohol 100% of the time, so if you have dietary or health restrictions, you can still enjoy a plethora of mocktails and other virgin drinks.
Some of these mocktails are popular enough to find served at bars or restaurants you might frequent. Take a look at the drink menu on your next night out to see if you can spot one of these mocktail options.
- Sparkling Cranberry Lime
- Fruit Punch
- Virgin Daiquiri
- Lavender Lemonade
- Virgin Paloma
- Tahitian Coffee
- Piña Serrano Margarita
- Nice Pear
- Virgin Mary
- Yushi Fizz
If you don’t see any of these options listed, ask your server or the bartender about what mocktails they can make.
HOUSEOFLOVE Mocktail Options
At HOUSEOFLOVE, we aim to be inclusive so that people who can’t or don’t want to consume alcohol can still drink something they’ll enjoy with their good Judys.
If you’re hosting a party or you’re going to attend one at someone else’s, you don’t have to be left out of the loop when it comes to making and consuming a pleasant new drink option.
Here are a few ideas:
- Shirley Temple: Gingerale (Ginger Mule) or lemon-lime soda mixed with maraschino cherries
- Coconut Mojito Mocktail: Mint leaves, seltzer, coconut milk (or Colada Mocktail), and lime juice
- Pomegranate Spritzer: Pomegranate, Ginger Mule, and lemon juice
- Mint Cooler: Colada Mocktail, thin-sliced cucumber, lime juice, mint leaves, and sugar (if needed)
- Pineapple Ginger Beer: Ginger Mule and/or Colada Mocktail (drink calls for pineapple juice and lime juice) and ginger syrup
- Pineapple Cobbler: Club soda, strawberry juice, lime juice, and Colada Mocktail (drink calls for pineapple juice)
You don’t have to feel like an outsider if you’re avoiding alcohol for whatever reason. We stan ready-to-drink mocktails, either on their own or mixed with other ingredients, because they can empower you to drink responsibly and have a ball at the same time.